Time & Venue
- Previews: Aug 5-7
- Shows: Aug 8-31
- Days off: Aug 17 & 24
- Starting time: 18.45
- Show length: 75 min
- Venue: Pleasance King Dome
- Venue address: 1 Bristo Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9AL
- Authors: Esa Leskinen, Sami Keski-Vähälä, Kristian Smeds and Catherine Grosvenor
- Translation into English: Nely Keinänen
- Director: Aleksis Meaney
- Set designer: Janne Siltavuori
- Sound designer: Jussi Kärkkäinen
- Video designers: Ville Salmisalo and Ville Vierikko
- Costume designers: Janne Siltavuori and Marita Kuusiniemi
- Make-up designer: Riikka Virtanen
- Producer: Hanna Roisko / Ryhmäteatteri
- David McKay, Kim Allan, Sarah McCardie, Martin Docherty
- Hanna Roisko
- +358 40 682 7711
A Human Comedy
Loosely based on the novel by Arto Paasilinna
The hero of this story is middle-aged, middle-class, and works 12-hour days in his office cubicle, the highlights of his life long passed. However, a chance encounter with an eccentric hare re-awakens his lust for life and he finds himself on an epic and surreal journey through a world with rules and values he no longer accepts. The Year of the Hare is a riotous but touching comedy about human beings and other animals living together in a rapidly changing world with more and more problems, but seemingly fewer and fewer solutions.
- ‘The style created by this company is like no other, linking some Brechtian elements with a Scottish aesthetic that combines the raucous with the thoughtful.’
BRITISH THEATRE GUIDE
- ‘…it’s a show that provokes, entertains, and definitely has something to say.’
- ‘…absurdly, joyfully hilarious…hard to describe, but even harder to forget.’
Founded in 1967, the Ryhmäteatteri (“Group Theatre”) is Finland’s oldest independent theatre group. It operates in two performance spaces in Helsinki, main space in Kallio (capacity 350) and Summer theatre space in Suomenlinna, island of the coast of Helsinki (capacity 550).
With its light and flexible organization and excellent contacts with the most interesting playwrights in Finland today, the Ryhmäteatteri has a finger on the pulse of the times. The theatre takes special pride in promoting new domestic playwrights.
The Ryhmäteatteri is structured as an association whose goal is not to generate profit, but to create and promote values which encourage individuals to take responsibility for themselves and for the world. The Ryhmäteatteri is committed to the idea that individuals can make a difference, and that even the smallest acts are significant.