Time & Venue
- Previews: Aug 3-5
- Performances: Aug 6 – 28
- Day off: Aug 15, 22
- Starting time: 14.15
- Show length: 60 min
- Venue: Pleasance Courtyard The Cellar
- Venue address: 60 Pleasance, Edinburgh, EH8 9TJ
- Writer: Johanna Koljonen
- English translation: Samuel Ek
- Director: Fredrik Lundqvist
- Movement and choreography: Joséphine Wistedt
- Set design: Janne Vasama
- Costume design: Hanne Horte
- Sound design: Robert Kock
- Sound and light technician: Angelica Saludes
- Graphic: Robert Lundh
- General Manager: Johan Storgård
- Producer: Tanja Ljungqvist
Eliza Langland, Colin Moncrieff, Eunice Olumide, Arron Usher, Lilly Mair (dog)
- Tanja Ljungqvist
- The Theatre Agency in Finland
Art and ethics face off in The Chicken Trial, a documentary fantasy by Johanna Koljonen.
Can art be put to trial? Well, yes says Swedish law system, that in 2008 prosecuted art student Makode Linde, for having brought a magician’s hat full of chickens, to an animal-themed art event at a nightclub. The Chicken Trial is a documentary fantasy based on the court case that followed.
This political comedy written by Johanna Koljonen and directed by Fredrik Lundqvist, also strikes a very serious note. As witnesses struggle to recreate the night’s events, and actors to make head or tail of the rights of animals in the arts, the trial develops into an absurd meeting of the real and the artificial.
“This humorous play is off-the-wall, very creative, and at times absurd.”
ACE-Production is a performing arts agency that manages and produces plays and musicals internationally. The company was founded in 2008 by Svenska Teatern (the Swedish Theatre) in Helsinki and has extensive experience in licensing and production in Finland, Scandinavia, Europe and Asia. ACE-Production is one of the initiators of the From Start to Finnish project.