Time & Venue
- Previews: Aug 1-3
- Performances: Aug 2 – 27
- Days off: Aug 13 & 20
- Starting time: 12.30
- Show length: 70 min
- Venue: Pleasance Courtyard Courtyard Upstairs
- Venue address: 60 Pleasance, Edinburgh, EH8 9TJ
- Author and Director: Bengt Ahlfors
- English translation by: Henning Koch
- Costume design: Kaisa Rautakoski
- Graphic design: Nanne Nylund
- General Manager: Johan Storgård
- Producer and Co-ordinator: Tanja Ljungqvist
- Production Assistant: Julia Hytönen and students at HAAGA-HELIA University of Applied Sciences
Alexander West (Nominee for The Stage’s Best Solo Performer 2012)
- Hongjia Qi
Elderly Gentleman Seeks Companion. For Conversation, Only.
Previous confidents include: his Mother; Kafka (a dog); Grace Kelly (the Belovéd and Greatly Missed); Enok (an elevator); and Diana (a strictly hands-off sex-worker turned would-be dog-walker). Hobbies: gate-crashing funerals and weddings. Says: “I’m not afraid of dying, but it’s nice if someone misses you.
Or at least remembers that you once existed.”
Bengt Ahlfors’ exquisite monolgue has been a permanent fixture in the Helsinki repertoire since 2006 and is widely produced throughout Europe. It comes to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in a translation by Henning Koch.
- ‘Not overly sweet or nor pitifully bitter, this beautifully crafted piece of theatre gradually gobbles you in your seat.’
- ‘The audience is utterly absorbed in this moving and honest drama…’
The Swedish Theatre in Helsinki is situated in the heart of the city. It is one of six professional theatres in Finland to serve the Swedish speaking population and considered to be the Swedish national stage. The Theatre was built in 1866 by the Russian architect Nicolai Benois. As a national theater it provides a broad repertoire that caters to everyone, drama, newly written, domestic, classics, musicals, children’s theater etc. The theatre founded the company ACE-Production in 2008, an agency that owns and manages works, concepts and rights in the theatre and performing arts. ACE-Production was also one of the leading forces to launch the From Start To Finnish project.